This forum is archived and read-only. Snapshot taken 2026-10-01.

Narratives used to study emotional effects of reading

This topic was closed on the original forum.

#1

Hi all,

I am wondering whether someone has a list of (many of) the narratives used in empirical literary studies on the emotional effects of reading (broadly speaking, may include immersion/transportation, empathy etc.).

In particular, I am looking to find which modernist short stories have previously been used, but would also love to know what kinds of texts have generally been used to elicit the experiences studied.

If there is no such list already, perhaps we could create one together?

Best wishes,
Fransina

#2

Hi Fransina,
I’m not aware of such a list but I think it would be helpful to have it. Maybe you could start a post in #resources and we can collaborate in updating it.
I think this will need to be done manually looking at articles and their stimulus material.

#3 in reply to #2

Hi Federico,

I’m indeed currently manually looking at articles and their stimulus materials, but if we can make it a joint effort, that would be great!

#4 in reply to #3

Agree. Why don’t you make a shared document (Google Drive?) and post it with an announcement in #resources so that anybody who will see the post can contribute?