This forum is archived and read-only. Snapshot taken 2026-10-01.

List of Narratives Used for the Empirical Study of Literature and Emotion

Tags: emotions, materials, narratives, resources, texts

#1

Given the growing attention to the language, content, and other particulars of texts used in the empirical study of the emotional effects of reading, it would be useful to have a list of narratives used in such study for consultation purposes. Since no such list exists yet, let us collaboratively create one!
I define “emotional effects of reading” very broadly, so that it includes any emotion, empathy, immersion/transportation, identification et cetera.

Please contribute to this Google Drive spreadsheet with the following details per narrative used:

  • Title of the narrative
  • Author of the narrative
  • Type of narrative (e.g. short story, novel, non-fiction etc.)
  • Publication Year
  • Studies the narrative has been used in
  • Any notes

If you have ideas for any additional columns to be added to the spreadsheet, do comment below.

#2

Hi there! The spreadsheet is set to ‘read only’, so I can’t contribute.

#3 in reply to #2

Thank you for highlighting this issue, Lynn! I think you should be able to edit it now.